Friday, May 21, 2010

go, Go, GO!!!!!!!!

Posted by Jennifer at 5:03 PM
Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him—but some of them doubted!
Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” -Matthew 28: 16-20 (NLT)

Go!!!!!!!!! I feel like this is the overwhelming theme of my life right now. Go, go, go! In so many ways! :) We've been BUSY lately, every day it seems like there's something going on - and we're on the go all the time! It always happens this time of year, there's just a million things to do! :) Girl Scouts, school activities, church stuff, spending time with friends, planning for summer camps, VBS, and trips, drum lessons, piano lessons....and we don't have kids! But, this "Go" theme isn't just all about being busy and being on the go all the time...

God is definitely working big time on Brandon and I right now. Seriously folks, it's pretty awesome/crazy! He's pretty much screaming GO! at us daily....and in some ways that's starting to take form! :) We've been doing a lot of reading lately, and have read some phenomenal books. I know I've mentioned a couple of them - "The Irresistable Revolution" by Shane Clairborne and"Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" by Francis Chan. And we just started this week reading "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns (president of World Vision). I really probably need to take a break from reading, but these books, I just can't get enough of them right now! While each a very different book, they have some similar central themes. Look at your priorities. Live your life Jesus lived, serving the poorest of the poor. Put aside "religion" and "pop Christianity" and follow Him. Put your faith into action. Go.

It's pretty challenging. And not only have the books we've been reading been challenging us in this, but the current series our pastor is preaching at church has been along the same lines, challenging us in similar ways, and even the most recent study we did in our small group falls into line as well. Ok God, you've got our attention - are you trying to tell us something? Do we sell all our possessions, give to the poor and follow you? Part of me says YES, let's do that today - and part of me screams NO, I'm not ready yet! Something our pastor said this last Sunday, really has helped me put this into a little perspective. Doesn't make it easier, but gives me a better perspective. He said "What Jesus is calling me to is better than what He's asking me to give up".

The giving up is really hard - really hard. Who wants to be out of their comfort zone? But, that's what Jesus is calling us to - step out of that comfort and serve Him. I want to be like Isaiah - and just say "Here I am Lord, send me" - but sometimes I feel more like Moses "But God, I can't do that...I don't speak well...someone else would do a better job...I'm not comfortable with this."

I really like this quote from the book we're currently reading (The Hole in Our Gospel) in response to the Great Commission (Bible verse I quote at the top of this blog entry). The quote is from Sam Kamaleson, an Indian pastor and evangelist who worked with World Vision for decades.

"...the Lord's command to go out and make disciples is a direct invitation to join God in what He is doing - a call to action. Speaking to each of us, God is saying, You, Me, let's go! We have work to do, and it's urgent! Join Me!"

Wow. Richard Stearns goes on to say "How amazing to see our participation in kingdom work in this way - as God's partners." Double wow. I want to partner with God. I want to go out into the world and show everyone God's love.

Things are slowly starting to come together for our trip to Haiti this summer - which is exciting. And I can't wait to go on and serve there - but I think this call to "GO" is more urgent, and I feel we're being called to go out into our community and serve there. Not sure what this looks like yet - but I'm excited. Anyone on board to join us?

"Christianity is a faith that was meant to spread - but not through coercion. God's love was intended to be demonstrated, not dictated. Our job is not to manipulate or induce others to agree with us or to leave their religion and embrace Christianity. Our charge is to both proclaim and embody the gospel so that others can see, hear and feel God's love in tangible ways." -Richard Stearns (The Hole in Our Gospel)

So folks, let's GO. Let's be that tangible expression of God's love. Let's show our community what Jesus is really about. Pray with me - that we might be Isaiahs....


1 comments:

Unknown on May 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM said...

You Go girl!

I'm so glad I found your blog. I've got one 2. Mine's http://katherinescott.blogspot.com

 

We're what WILLIS was talking about... Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos