Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Love doesn't count chromosomes....

Posted by Jennifer at 11:00 AM
Well, I didn't quite post every day leading up to this special day - but hopefully I was able to provide you all with some resources about down syndrome!

Today is World Down Syndrome Day....3/21....a day that we celebrate those with designer genes!! :) I would like to take today to just celebrate and introduce you to 21 of my favorite kids and young adults (and their families!) with down syndrome!! Some of these pictures will take you to blogs - others won't - but enjoy!! Meet my friends!!! (Okay there might actually be MORE than 21....)
BlakeCarlene


Charlotte


Elisha

Evan and Lina


Gavin and Belle


Hailee and Harper


Hope and Mila

Katie and Verity

Katie Ruth

Lily

Megan

LinkMia and Bree

Natasha

Paisley


Rowdy and Rush


Russell
Sarah



These are the faces of Down syndrome. And soon two precious little girls who sport an extra chromosome will live at our house.
Abigail

and Emilie. (yes that's a new picture)

These are the faces I want you to think of....when someone calls someone or something "retarded". These are the faces I want you to think of when someone calls a person with Down syndrome a "burden" or says that they are "suffering" with Down syndrome. To directly quote a friend of mine:
Educate yourself. Individuals with Down syndrome ARE PEOPLE just like you and me. There's a wide variety of achievement, but isn't that true with everybody?
Would you join me in celebrating these too-often-overlooked individuals?

Will you consider donating $21 to our adoption fund in honor of our designer girls
and World Down Syndrome day??

Happy World Down Syndrome Day

3 comments:

JC on March 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the idea of this post!! Great job :)

Happy World Down syndrome day!

Michelle on March 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM said...

What a beautiful collection of photographs of beautiful children! What did you end up doing for chapel day at the school?

I am so sorry I completely forgot to answer your question asking what book I was planning on reading to Kayla's class. I know it's a moot point now since WDSD has passed, but just wanted to let you know the book is called Meet Annie! Again, sorry I didn't get back with you sooner!

Jennifer on March 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM said...

Hi Michelle,
No worries!! :) I didn't end up doing anything for chapel on WDSC...because it snowed 8 inches that day and we didn't have school!!! I might try to do another special presentation before the school year is over to the kids - because we don't have any kids with special needs in our little school, so once our girls are home and are around, I want the students to feel comfortable! :)

 

We're what WILLIS was talking about... Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos